Investments to Enhance Capability and Capacity
The Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) must be ready and able to deliver across a spectrum of operations – from domestic humanitarian assistance and disaster response to counter-terrorism and peace support operations, to high intensity combat operations.
To achieve this, the CAF requires targeted and strategic investment in capabilities and equipment that can be used on domestic and international military operations.
Strong, Secure, Engaged will renew, replace, and maintain core equipment, and continue to support Canada's multi-role, combat-ready defence force by:
- Investing in modern defence for Canada;
- Providing secure, stable, long-term, predictable funding for Defence;
- Protecting Canadians at home and demonstrating leadership in the world;
- Enabling the CAF to become more capable, diverse, multi-purpose and self-sustaining;
- Creating a more strategically relevant, combat-ready force that will anticipate, adapt, and act within a constantly changing security environment;
- Replacing and modernizing core land, sea, and air capabilities, as well as investing in joint enablers (space, cyber, intelligence) to ensure the CAF has the modern capabilities to succeed on operations; and
- Ensuring interoperability with key allies and partners, through NORAD, NATO, and the Five Eyes community to enable effective operations.
Learn more about the investments in capabilities.Download video (68 MB)
Canada Defence Policy
Canada Defence Policy [PDF - 13 MB]
- Backgrounder: Investments to Enhance Capability and Capacity
- Backgrounder: Investments in the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN)
- Backgrounder: Investments in the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF)
- Backgrounder: Investments in the Canadian Army
- Backgrounder: Investments in Special Operations Forces and Joint Capabilities
- Backgrounder: Long Term Acquisition Funding of Canadian Armed Forces Capabilities
- Backgrounder: North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD)
- Canada Unveils New Defence Policy
- Date modified: