Theme 1: Canada's new vision for Defence
Canada’s defence policy – Strong, Secure, Engaged – will provide Canada with an agile, multi-purpose combat-ready military, operated by highly trained, well-equipped women and men, secure in the knowledge that they have the full support of their government and their fellow Canadians.
This policy will ensure Canada is:
- Strong at home with a military ready and able to defend its sovereignty, and to assist in times of natural disaster, support search and rescue, or respond to other emergencies;
- Secure in North America, active in a renewed defence partnership in NORAD and with the United States; and
- Engaged in the world, with Defence doing its part in Canadian contributions to a more stable and peaceful world.
Strong, Secure, Engaged will shape Canada’s role in the world for decades to come. It will ensure that the CAF is equipped and prepared to protect Canadian sovereignty, defend North America, and contribute to global security.
Learn more about Canada’s new vision for Defence
Canada Defence Policy
- Theme 2: Well-supported, diverse, resilient people and families
- Theme 3: Investments to Enhance Capability and Capacity
- Theme 4: Defence innovation
- Theme 5: Modernizing the business of Defence
- Theme 6: Stable, Predictable, Realistic Funding
Canada Defence Policy [PDF - 13 MB]